Vegetable Moroccan Tagine
Originally a North African Berber dish, the tagine is a wonderful celebration of spices that’s sure to make your palate sing. This might not be like anything you've eaten before. The slight sweetness from the dried apricot adds an interesting twist of flavour and texture. Serve with fluffy couscous, and for an authentic experience brew some Tuareg tea to go with it!
- 2 Medium Brown Onions peeled, chopped
- 10 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 Large Carrots peeled, cubed
- 2 Large Potatoes peeled, cubed
- 2 cups Pumpkin peeled, cubed
- 1 Tbsp Harissa Spice Blend
- 3/4 tsp Ground Coriander
- 3/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp Ground Turmeric
- 2 cups Canned Whole Peeled Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Dried Apricot chopped
- 4 cups Vegetable Stock
- 2 cups Cooked Chickpeas
- 1 Lemon juiced
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Parsley
- Salt to taste
- In a large soup pot or Dutch Oven, heat 2-3 tablespoons of water over medium heat and add onions and increase heat to medium-high. Sauté for 5 minutes, adding more water as needed to prevent sticking and stir regularly.
- Add garlic and all the chopped veggies. Season with spices. Toss to combine, then cook for 5 to 7 minutes on medium-high heat, mixing regularly.
- Add tomatoes, apricot and stock. Taste, add salt as required.
- Keep the heat on medium-high, and cook for 10 minutes. Then reduce heat, cover and simmer for another 20 to 25 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Stir in chickpeas and cook for another 5 minutes on low heat.
- Stir in lemon juice and fresh parsley. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding more salt or harissa spice blend to your liking.
- Transfer to serving bowls. Serve hot with your favourite bread, couscous, or rice.
Calories: 243kcalCarbohydrates: 52gProtein: 9gFat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 802mgPotassium: 1056mgFiber: 10gSugar: 17gVitamin A: 7658IUVitamin C: 43mgCalcium: 110mgIron: 4mg
Photos by Amber Asakura
Gabrielle is an evidence-based vegan coach who believes that health transformation begins when you switch to a plant-based diet. Her mission is to help midlife women eat in alignment with who they are and what they value so that they can lead a happier, healthier and more fulfilling life.
Sign up for a weekly dose of evidence-based info + free recipes
Written by Gabrielle (hi!), these e-mails will help you on your plant-based journey with useful tips, tricks, facts and inspiration – and perhaps the occasional inappropriate joke thrown in for good measure.
1 thought on “Vegetable Moroccan Tagine”
This recipe looks devine. It’s on the menu for Wednesday. Thank you for sharing this 🙂