Vegan Groundnut Stew
- 1 large onion diced
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 3 Tbsp ginger grated
- 1 Tbsp ground coriander
- 2 chili peppers jalapeno, serrano, or habanero peppers, diced
- 1 kg sweet potatoes peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 can (~400g) diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 L vegetable broth low-sodium
- 3/4 cup natural peanut butter creamy or smooth
- 150 g baby spinach
- 1 lemon juiced
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- fresh coriander to garnish
- crushed peanuts to garnish
- In a large pot, heat a tablespoon of water over a medium heat, then add the onion, garlic, ginger, and chili peppers and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add additional water, one tablespoon at a time, as needed to prevent sticking.
- Add the sweet potatoes, tomatoes, spices and liquids, and bring to a boil.
- Stir in peanut butter, then reduce heat and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until sweet potatoes are fork tender.
- Turn off heat and stir in the spinach and lemon juice.
- Serve with rice, and topped with cilantro and crushed peanuts.
Photos by Amber Asakura
Gabrielle is an evidence-based vegan coach who believes that health transformation begins when you switch to a plant-based diet. Her mission is to help midlife women eat in alignment with who they are and what they value so that they can lead a happier, healthier and more fulfilling life.
Sign up for a weekly dose of evidence-based info + free recipes
Written by Gabrielle (hi!), these e-mails will help you on your plant-based journey with useful tips, tricks, facts and inspiration – and perhaps the occasional inappropriate joke thrown in for good measure.