Vegan "Egg" Fried Rice
The ultimate in quick and easy comfort food, this eggless (yet "eggy") fried rice is guaranteed to hit the spot and yet is super healthy - completely oil-free and whole food plant-based!
- 4 Tbsp water for "frying"
- 1/2 yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 red capsicum finely chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 300 g silken tofu
- 4 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp kala namak optional
- Ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 250 g cooked brown rice see notes
- 2-3 spring onions finely chopped
- Add water to a wok pan and turn it to medium heat. Add the onion, capsicum, and garlic. Stir and sauté until the onion and capsicum have softened.
- Next, add the silken tofu to the pan together with the soy sauce, nutritional yeast, turmeric, kala namak (if using) and some ground pepper. Mash up the tofu in the pan and mix it all together.
- Add 1 cup of frozen peas, cooked rice, a few chopped spring onions and cook for another few minutes until the peas are defrosted and heated up.
- Serve in a bowl and drizzle with Sriracha.
Rice is best used 1-2 days after it is cooked for a better texture of fried rice.
Calories: 209kcalCarbohydrates: 31gProtein: 14gFat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 1238mgPotassium: 514mgFiber: 5gSugar: 6gVitamin A: 1783IUVitamin C: 48mgCalcium: 66mgIron: 3mg
Photos by Amber Asakura
Gabrielle is an evidence-based vegan coach who believes that health transformation begins when you switch to a plant-based diet. Her mission is to help midlife women eat in alignment with who they are and what they value so that they can lead a happier, healthier and more fulfilling life.
Sign up for a weekly dose of evidence-based info + free recipes
Written by Gabrielle (hi!), these e-mails will help you on your plant-based journey with useful tips, tricks, facts and inspiration – and perhaps the occasional inappropriate joke thrown in for good measure.