A wonderful bacon-inspired topper for your snacks and meals. It’s salty, sweet, and smoky made with just a few ingredients. Sprinkle over salad, soups, baked potatoes, creamy pasta or anywhere you want a hint of bacon crunch!
- 200 g unsweetened coconut flakes generous 3 cups
- 3 Tbsp low sodium tamari or coconut aminos
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp hickory liquid smoke
- Preheat oven to 150°C (300°F). Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients until the coconut is completely coated. This step is easier if you use your hands (and satisfyingly messy!).
- Spread the coconut bacon on the lined oven tray in an even layer, and place in the oven.
- Bake for about 14-20 minutes, until deep golden brown, turning once or twice during the baking process, to prevent sticking and clumping. Be careful not to crush the coconut as you turn.
- Let cool completely - the bacon will firm on cooling.
- Store airtight at room temperature for up to 1 month. If the coconut bacon becomes soft, return it to the oven to crisp it up again.
The longer you can keep the bacon in the oven the crispier it will get - but be careful not to leave it in too long, it can burn very quickly!
Calories: 122kcalCarbohydrates: 6.6gProtein: 1.6gFat: 10.8gSaturated Fat: 9.5gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.1gMonounsaturated Fat: 0.5gSodium: 258mgPotassium: 107mgFiber: 2.8gSugar: 3.3gVitamin C: 0.25mgCalcium: 8.6mgIron: 0.7mg
Gabrielle is an evidence-based vegan coach who believes that health transformation begins when you switch to a plant-based diet. Her mission is to help midlife women eat in alignment with who they are and what they value so that they can lead a happier, healthier and more fulfilling life.
Like what you see?
If you like the look of this recipe, hit the button below and we’ll send you a free 7-day meal plan full of delicious plant-based meals!