Vegan Alfredo Sauce
A perfectly creamy vegan sauce has been my holy grail for too long, and I think I finally nailed it!This gorgeous Alfredo sauce is sure to be a hit around your dinner table, and best of all it's whole food plant-based, extremely low in saturated fat, and completely cholesterol free!
- 1 whole bulb garlic
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- 350 g silken tofu
- 3 Tbsp tamari
- First, let's get our ingredients together...
- Start by preheating the oven to 200°C (400°F). Peel off the papery outer layers of the garlic bulb, then slice the very top off the head of garlic so the cloves are exposed.
- Drizzle 1 or 2 drops of water on top of the bulb, then wrap in foil - not too tightly!
- Place on an oven tray or pie tin, then bake for 35 to 45 minutes.
- Once garlic is in the oven, place the cashews in a large heat safe bowl and cover with boiling hot water.
- When the garlic is done, remove from the oven and leave to cool for at least ten minutes.
- Unwrap the garlic (the bulb should be really soft to the touch, almost squishy), then squeeze it from the bottom into a blender or food processor. It should come out like toothpaste.
- Drain the cashews, then add them to the blender, along with the nutritional yeast, salt, tofu, tamari, and half the water.
- Blend until smooth. You may need to tamp it down to get things started, and blend a bit longer than you think - until it's silky smooth with an even non-grainy texture. This could take a couple of minutes, depending on your blender.
- Add more seasoning and/or water until you’ve reached your desired consistency and taste.
Calories: 214kcalCarbohydrates: 12gProtein: 10gFat: 15gSaturated Fat: 3gPolyunsaturated Fat: 3gMonounsaturated Fat: 8gSodium: 530mgPotassium: 344mgFiber: 2gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 1IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 28mgIron: 3mg
Photos by Amber Asakura
Gabrielle is an evidence-based vegan coach who believes that health transformation begins when you switch to a plant-based diet. Her mission is to help midlife women eat in alignment with who they are and what they value so that they can lead a happier, healthier and more fulfilling life.
Sign up for a weekly dose of evidence-based info + free recipes
Written by Gabrielle (hi!), these e-mails will help you on your plant-based journey with useful tips, tricks, facts and inspiration – and perhaps the occasional inappropriate joke thrown in for good measure.