The Ultimate Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese
- 300 g dry TVP granules 3 cups, see notes
- 1 Tbsp beef style stock powder I use Massel brand
- 2 medium onions finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 medium carrots grated
- 2 celery sticks finely chopped
- 2 sprigs rosemary leaves finely chopped
- 2 400g cans crushed tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp fresh basil finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Place the TVP in a large bowl with a tablespoon of beef stock. Cover with boiled water, and let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a tablespoon of water in a large saucepan or pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions, and sauté until translucent. Add additional water, a Tbsp at a time, as needed to prevent sticking.
- Add the TVP and garlic, and cook for two minutes, until the TVP mince is showing signs of browning. Again, add a bit of water at a time to prevent sticking.
- Add the carrot, celery, and rosemary, and cook for a few minutes until the celery starts to soften.
- Add the tomatoes, basil, oregano, bay leaves, tomato puree, tamari, maple syrup, and red wine. Stir until combined.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce to a gentle simmer and cover with a lid. Cook for an hour, until the sauce has thickened and the flavour has fully developed. Stir occasionally.
- Remove the bay leaves (if you can find them), then stir in the nutritional yeast. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serve with spaghetti, garnished with fresh basil and perhaps a side of garlic bread.
Gabrielle is an evidence-based vegan coach who believes that health transformation begins when you switch to a plant-based diet. Her mission is to help midlife women eat in alignment with who they are and what they value so that they can lead a happier, healthier and more fulfilling life.
Like what you see?
If you like the look of this recipe, hit the button below and we’ll send you a free 7-day meal plan full of delicious plant-based meals!