Tempeh Bacon Bites
We try to keep a jar of these bacon bites in the fridge at all times, because they’re just so damn versatile! Add them to pasta sauce, salad, pizza, wherever you would add little pieces of bacon.Make sure you crumble the pieces small enough and bake them for long enough (they shouldn’t be spongy/springy anymore)!One serving is approximately two tablespoons of bacon bites.
- 225 g tempeh
- 2 Tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- First, let's assemble the ingredients.
- Combine the marinade ingredients together in a bowl. Then, using your fingers, crumble the tempeh into small pieces and add to the bowl.
- Mix and cover, then marinate in the fridge for an hour or more - the longer you leave it to marinate, the more flavour it will have.
- When the tempeh has almost finished marinating, preheat your oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper, then spread the tempeh bits over it in a single layer.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Toss and bake for another 5 minutes, or until crispy.
- Use to top salads, pizza, pasta or anywhere you’d add usually add bacon bits!
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Calories: 68kcalCarbohydrates: 5gProtein: 6gFat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 255mgPotassium: 155mgFiber: 1gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 62IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 35mgIron: 1mg
Photos by Amber Asakura
Gabrielle is an evidence-based vegan coach who believes that health transformation begins when you switch to a plant-based diet. Her mission is to help midlife women eat in alignment with who they are and what they value so that they can lead a happier, healthier and more fulfilling life.
Sign up for a weekly dose of evidence-based info + free recipes
Written by Gabrielle (hi!), these e-mails will help you on your plant-based journey with useful tips, tricks, facts and inspiration – and perhaps the occasional inappropriate joke thrown in for good measure.