Tempeh Bacon Bites
- 225 g tempeh
- 2 Tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- First, let's assemble the ingredients.
- Combine the marinade ingredients together in a bowl. Then, using your fingers, crumble the tempeh into small pieces and add to the bowl.
- Mix and cover, then marinate in the fridge for an hour or more - the longer you leave it to marinate, the more flavour it will have.
- When the tempeh has almost finished marinating, preheat your oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper, then spread the tempeh bits over it in a single layer.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Toss and bake for another 5 minutes, or until crispy.
- Use to top salads, pizza, pasta or anywhere you’d add usually add bacon bits!
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Photos by Amber Asakura
Gabrielle is an evidence-based vegan coach who believes that health transformation begins when you switch to a plant-based diet. Her mission is to help midlife women eat in alignment with who they are and what they value so that they can lead a happier, healthier and more fulfilling life.
Sign up for a weekly dose of evidence-based info + free recipes
Written by Gabrielle (hi!), these e-mails will help you on your plant-based journey with useful tips, tricks, facts and inspiration – and perhaps the occasional inappropriate joke thrown in for good measure.