Sweet Potato Brownies with Caramel Sauce
- Large Saucepan
- Parchment Paper
- Baking Dish
- 2 Large Sweet Potatoes peeled and cut into small cubes
- 12 Medjool Dates pitted
- 100 gram Ground Almonds
- 100 gram Oat Flour
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil melted
- 6 Tbsp Cacao Powder
- 6 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 2 Tbsp Almond Butter optional
- Aquafaba (Brine) from 1x400g can of chickpeas
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- Handful Vegan Chocolate Chips optional
- Pinch Sea Salt
Caramel Sauce Ingredients
- 2/3 cup Coconut Nectar
- 1/4 cup Cashew Butter +2 tablespoons
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C), fan forced setting.
- Place the sweet potato into a steamer or in a saucepan with boiling water for 15-30 minutes, until they become really soft (the length of time will depend on the size of the chunks).
- When soft and beginning to fall apart, drain them and add them to a blender or food processor with the pitted dates. Blend until smooth.
- Next, add the remaining ingredients (except the chocolate) and blend until smooth. once blended, stir through the chocolate chips (if using).
- Spoon the mixture into a lined baking dish and cook for 45-50 minutes until you can pierce the brownie with a toothpick and it comes out clean.
- Remove the tray and allow it to cool for at least 10 minutes (the longer the better) – this is important to allow it to firm and hold together.
- For the caramel sauce, mix together the coconut nectar, cashew butter, and salt in a small bowl until well combined. That's it! The sauce will be thinner at room temperature and thicker once refrigerated.
Photos by Amber Asakura
Gabrielle is an evidence-based vegan coach who believes that health transformation begins when you switch to a plant-based diet. Her mission is to help midlife women eat in alignment with who they are and what they value so that they can lead a happier, healthier and more fulfilling life.
Sign up for a weekly dose of evidence-based info + free recipes
Written by Gabrielle (hi!), these e-mails will help you on your plant-based journey with useful tips, tricks, facts and inspiration – and perhaps the occasional inappropriate joke thrown in for good measure.