Spicy Vegan Breakfast Burrito
Forget artery clogging bacon and eggs for breakfast. Try these vegan breakfast burritos instead. They include an eggy tofu scramble, vegan cheese sauce, pico de gallo, roasted potatoes, and creamy avocado all rolled up into a wholegrain tortilla. It's the perfect mix of comfort in every bite.
For the burrito
- 4 large tortillas
- 8 tbsp. Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 4 servings Tofu Scramble
- 1 large avocado sliced, to serve
For the crispy potatoes
- 600 g potatoes peeled and diced
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
For the Pico de Gallo
- 2 medium tomatoes diced
- 1 small red onion diced
- 1 lime juiced
- salt & pepper to taste
- Prepare the Vegan Cheese Sauce and Tofu Scramble from the recipes in this pack.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Lightly spray a baking tray with cooking spray (to prevent the potato sticking to it).
- Place the potatoes in a bowl of cold water and soak for 5 minutes, then drain. Wrap in a clean kitchen towel, dry well.
- Season the potatoes with salt and pepper, and sprinkle over the corn starch. Toss the potatoes until evenly coated, then spread them over the oven tray and bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown. Toss the potatoes halfway through.
- While the potaoes are baking, make the Pico de Gallo by mixing together the diced tomato, onion and lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside until the burrito is ready to be assembled.
- Gently heat the wraps in a large frying pan over a medium heat to make them easier to fold. (Don't toast them, that makes them harder to fold!)
- To assemble the burritos, take a warm wrap and add 1 to 2 tablespoons of the cheese sauce in the middle third of the tortilla. Spoon one serving of the tofu scramble on top, followed by a portion of roasted potatoes, pico de gallo, and a quarter of the avocado.
- Roll the burritos carefully and place back into the hot skillet seam-side down. Press down on the burrito and heat for 1-2 minutes until golden brown on the bottom.
- Flip and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes on the other side. Serve warm
Calories: 570kcalCarbohydrates: 76gProtein: 26gFat: 22gSaturated Fat: 4.2gPolyunsaturated Fat: 6.4gMonounsaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0.04gSodium: 719mgPotassium: 1328mgFiber: 13.4gSugar: 7gVitamin A: 843IUVitamin C: 29.3mgCalcium: 465mgIron: 6mg
Gabrielle is an evidence-based vegan coach who believes that health transformation begins when you switch to a plant-based diet. Her mission is to help midlife women eat in alignment with who they are and what they value so that they can lead a happier, healthier and more fulfilling life.
Like what you see?
If you like the look of this recipe, hit the button below and we’ll send you a free 7-day meal plan full of delicious plant-based meals!
2 thoughts on “Spicy Vegan Breakfast Burrito”
This looks AMAZING and something everyone is sure to love! Question for you though……HOW do you fold the wraps? Mine never turn out right 🙁
This recipe is one of my favourites on my website. These wraps are a lot of work, but they’re amaaaaazing.
To wrap them, place the filling in the middle third, and roll it once lengthwise to just cover the filling. Then fold over the two short sides before finally turning over the final long side.
Wrapping is tricky until you get the hang of it, but I’ve figured out a couple of tips that might hopefully help.
First, and most important, don’t overfill them! In fact, if you’re struggling to wrap them neatly I’d say buy an extra pack of wraps and just serve them all lightly filled. As you get more confident you can fill them up more, until they’re nice and plump.
Second, warm the wraps before you fill them (but don’t toast them!). They get more stretchy when they’re warmed up, making them easier to handle especially when they’re a bit fuller.
Wholegrain is obviously much healthier, but white flour tortillas (especially warmed up) are less prone to ripping and tearing – much easier to wrap.
And that’s it. Good luck in your wrapping endeavours, and let me know in the group if you make them – I’d love to see photos!