This tasty hummus recipe makes it easy to ditch the oil-based, store-bought version forever. The secret for getting it creamy is in the baking soda so don't skip this step! It's also amazing what just a few drops of liquid smoke can do for the flavour. Whip up a batch and enjoy it with crudites, on toast, in burgers, soups, salads and more.
- 420 g chickpeas canned
- 1/3 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup hulled tahini
- 4 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 6 drops liquid smoke
- fresh parsley
- sweet smoked paprika
- lemon juice
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas and add to a medium sized saucepan (see notes).
- Add the baking soda to the saucepan and enough water to completely cover the chickpeas by a few centimetres. Bring to a boil over high heat for 15 minutes.
- Using a strainer, drain the cooked chickpeas and rinse with cold water - it may smell a bit unpleasant at this stage, and that's totally ok! Keep going, it will end up being totally delicious. Once completely cool, add to a blender or food processor.
- Add all remaining ingredients and process for several minutes until very smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides as needed. You may wish to add a bit of water to reach your desired consistency.
- Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking. Top with garnish and serve. Enjoy!
Use a larger pot or saucepan than you think - the baking soda can cause the mixture to foam up significantly when boiling!
Calories: 176kcalCarbohydrates: 22gProtein: 8gFat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 3gMonounsaturated Fat: 2gSodium: 279mgPotassium: 264mgFiber: 6gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 109IUVitamin C: 7mgCalcium: 64mgIron: 2mg
Photos by Amber Asakura
Gabrielle is an evidence-based vegan coach who believes that health transformation begins when you switch to a plant-based diet. Her mission is to help midlife women eat in alignment with who they are and what they value so that they can lead a happier, healthier and more fulfilling life.
Sign up for a weekly dose of evidence-based info + free recipes
Written by Gabrielle (hi!), these e-mails will help you on your plant-based journey with useful tips, tricks, facts and inspiration – and perhaps the occasional inappropriate joke thrown in for good measure.