No-one can resist creamy scalloped potatoes with a crispy top! This version beats out the traditional kind, as it's 100% heart healthy with zero cholesterol and trans fat. Capers give the potatoes dimension and turn this dish into something you'll want to make over and over again. It's the best side dish to any meal, or serve it with tofu, tempeh - or simply enjoy it on its own!
- Baking Dish
For the sauce:
- 1 cup cashews raw
- 2 cups water
- 4 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper ground
For the potatoes:
- 800 g potatoes
- 1 brown onion
- 2 Tbsp capers
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F). Boil the cashew nuts for 5 minutes and then drain.
- While the cashews are boiling, slice the potatoes very thin with a knife or mandolin. Slice the onion.
- When the cashews are done, make the sauce by adding all sauce ingredients to a high-speed blender and process for several minutes until smooth.
- In a 15x20cm baking dish, add a few layers of potatoes, then onion and capers.
- Repeat the process until all potatoes are used, then add the sauce.
- Bake in the oven for about 60 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft.
Calories: 249kcalCarbohydrates: 34gProtein: 9gFat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 5gSodium: 477mgPotassium: 833mgFiber: 5gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 8IUVitamin C: 28mgCalcium: 33mgIron: 3mg
Photos by Amber Asakura
Gabrielle is an evidence-based vegan coach who believes that health transformation begins when you switch to a plant-based diet. Her mission is to help midlife women eat in alignment with who they are and what they value so that they can lead a happier, healthier and more fulfilling life.
Sign up for a weekly dose of evidence-based info + free recipes
Written by Gabrielle (hi!), these e-mails will help you on your plant-based journey with useful tips, tricks, facts and inspiration – and perhaps the occasional inappropriate joke thrown in for good measure.