Pasta Alfredo with Garlic Greens
- Large Pot
- Large Frying Pan
- 450 gram Pasta wholegrain or lentil
- 1 cup Frozen Peas
- 2 cups Baby Spinach torn into smaller pieces
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 3 cups Unsweetened Non-Dairy Milk
- 1 cup Raw Cashews soaked for 10 minutes in boiling water, then drained
- 1/2 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Chicken-Flavoured Stock I use Massel brand
- Salt & Pepper
- Bring water to boil in a large pot.
- Meanwhile: sauté the garlic in a little water until soft. When soft, add a few more tablespoons of water and add peas and spinach.
- Cover and simmer until the liquid mostly evaporates. Remove from heat.
- Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook to package instructions and set aside.
- Sauce: place milk, cashews (drained) , nutritional yeast, garlic, lemon juice, onion powder, stock in a blender or food processor and blend until very smooth.
- Pour the sauce into a large pot and heat over medium-high heat. Make sure to stir/whisk the sauce constantly to prevent it getting lumpy or sticking. When sauce has thickened (about 3-4 minutes), remove from heat.
- Add the drained pasta, peas and spinach to the sauce. (If there is extra liquid in the greens mixture, make sure to drain it before adding it to the pot)
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Photos by Amber Asakura
Gabrielle is an evidence-based vegan coach who believes that health transformation begins when you switch to a plant-based diet. Her mission is to help midlife women eat in alignment with who they are and what they value so that they can lead a happier, healthier and more fulfilling life.
Sign up for a weekly dose of evidence-based info + free recipes
Written by Gabrielle (hi!), these e-mails will help you on your plant-based journey with useful tips, tricks, facts and inspiration – and perhaps the occasional inappropriate joke thrown in for good measure.