Oven-Baked Eggless French Toast
- 2 cups soy milk
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black salt optional
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp ground linseed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 8 slices hearty whole wheat bread * see notes
- Preheat oven grill to 220°C (450°F) fan forced. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Add soy milk and lemon juice to medium size jug or mixing bowl. Stir and let sit for 5-10 minutes to make buttermilk.
- Add all other ingredients excluding the bread to the mixing bowl and whisk together to remove any lumps, making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Pour batter into a dish with sides about the size of an A4 piece of paper. Taking each piece of bread, dip both sides generously in the batter to get it well coated.
- Add battered bread to the lined oven tray and grill on the second level for 10 minutes until the bread looks lightly toasted on top. Remove tray from the oven.
- Place a fresh piece of baking paper next to the oven tray and, using a spatula, lift each piece of the toasted bread and carefully flip onto the new piece of baking paper. You will see a “skin” left behind on the old piece which you can dispose of. Lift the new piece of paper onto the same oven tray and place under the grill for a further 10 minutes.
- Finally, flip the bread over one more time onto the existing piece of baking paper and place under the grill until golden brown – about 3 minutes.
- Remove from tray and serve immediately. Repeat with rest of the bread.
- Enjoy with maple syrup, sliced bananas, fresh fruit or Macerated Strawberries – or all 4!
Gabrielle is an evidence-based vegan coach who believes that health transformation begins when you switch to a plant-based diet. Her mission is to help midlife women eat in alignment with who they are and what they value so that they can lead a happier, healthier and more fulfilling life.
Like what you see?
If you like the look of this recipe, hit the button below and we’ll send you a free 7-day meal plan full of delicious plant-based meals!