Oil-Free Baba Ganoush
This creamy, smoky Baba Ganoush is oil-free and delicious. Serve it alongside your favourite vegetables or with warm pita. You can even smother it on cooked pasta.
- 1 large eggplant
- 3 Tbsp tahini
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke optional
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F). Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Cut the eggplant in half, and place it cut side down (skin up) on the oven tray.
- Bake for 35 minutes then broil for about 10 minutes, until the skin is black. (see notes)
- Immediately place the broiled eggplant in a plastic bag. Seal the bag, and leave the eggplant to steam for 10 minutes.
- Once steamed, scoop out the eggplant flesh using a spoon, and add it to your high-speed blender or food processor.
- Add in the tahini, garlic clove, salt, paprika, and liquid smoke (if using). Process until the desired consistency has been reached. Adjust seasoning to suit your preference.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 7 days.
To broil the eggplant, simply set your oven to its grill setting (heating directly from above), and move your oven tray up so it's near the heat. An alternative approach would be to char the eggplant over an open flame, if you have a gas-powered stove.
Calories: 38.2kcalCarbohydrates: 4.6gProtein: 1.3gFat: 2.1gSaturated Fat: 0.3gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.9gMonounsaturated Fat: 0.8gTrans Fat: 0.02gSodium: 103.9mgPotassium: 152.2mgFiber: 2.1gSugar: 2.2gVitamin A: 2IUVitamin C: 2.2mgCalcium: 22.3mgIron: 0.5mg
Gabrielle is an evidence-based vegan coach who believes that health transformation begins when you switch to a plant-based diet. Her mission is to help midlife women eat in alignment with who they are and what they value so that they can lead a happier, healthier and more fulfilling life.
Like what you see?
If you like the look of this recipe, hit the button below and we’ll send you a free 7-day meal plan full of delicious plant-based meals!