Meat-Free Sausage Rolls
- Baking Tray
- Mixing Bowl
- Pastry Brush
- 125 gram Pecans
- 1/2 cup Breadcrumbs wholegrain
- 1 Onion
- 300 gram Silken Tofu
- 1 cup Rolled Oats
- 1 Beef-style Stock Cube
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Sauce
- 1 tsp Curry Powder
- 1/2 tsp Liquid Smoke optional
- 3 Tbsp Tamari
- Black Pepper to taste
- 4 Plant-based Frozen Puff Pastry Sheets
- Plant-based milk for brushing pastry
- Sesame Seeds optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C) and lightly grease a baking tray. Thaw the puff pastry.
- Process the pecans until thoroughly chopped, but still retaining some texture (don't blend it to a powder!).
- Add chopped pecans and breadcrumbs to a large mixing bowl.
- Chop the onion finely and add to the mixing bowl.
- Process tofu until smooth, then add to the mixing bowl with the rest of the filling ingredients (excluding pastry, milk, and sesame seeds). Mix everything together well.
- Slice each pastry sheet in half so that it forms two rectangles.
- Spoon the filling down the centre third of each pastry rectangle; lightly brush one third with water or milk, then roll the pastry starting from the empty third and tucking it into the brushed third.
- Slice the rolls into a length of your choice (about 1 inch is a nice little mouthful) and place on a baking try. Add a few diagonal cuts to the top of each roll, brush the top with milk, then optionally sprinkle over a few sesame seeds.
- Repeat with the remaining filling and pastry.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until pastry is a lovely golden brown. Serve warm with your favourite sauces or chutney. Enjoy!
Photos by Amber Asakura
Gabrielle is a Nutritional Coach, Cooking Teacher and Mama of Five. Her mission is to help and inspire women to create a life of optimal health by transitioning to a plant-based lifestyle. She currently lives in sunny Queensland, Australia with her ‘Beardo’, five skallywags and adorable rescue dog, Lolly.
Sign up for a weekly dose of evidence-based info + free recipes
Written by Gabrielle (hi!), these e-mails will help you on your plant-based journey with useful tips, tricks, facts and inspiration – and perhaps the occasional inappropriate joke thrown in for good measure.