Mashed Parsnip & Miso Gravy
Perhaps not the prettiest dish, but this gravy recipe does a lot of work in our house! With parsnip it's a perfect accompaniment to any traditional meat+3 veg meal.
- Steamer Basket
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- 3 Parsnips stems removed, peeled, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 cup Water
- 1 1/2 tsp Miso Paste
- 2 Tbsp Oat Flour
- 1/8 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Tapioca Flour
- Set parsnip in a steamer over boiling water and cover. Steam for about 8 minutes, or until tender.
- Drain and transfer to a bowl. Add almond milk and mash with a fork until smooth and combined. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, set a saucepan over medium/high heat. Add water, miso paste, oat flour, garlic powder and salt. Whisk to combine and remove any lumps.
- Bring to a simmer and add tapioca flour while continuing to whisk. Let simmer for at least 5 to 10 minutes, then remove from heat. The gravy will thicken as it cools.
- Divide mashed parsnip and pour desired amount of gravy overtop. Enjoy!
Calories: 218kcalCarbohydrates: 49gProtein: 5gFat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 509mgPotassium: 912mgFiber: 12gSugar: 12gVitamin A: 4IUVitamin C: 40mgCalcium: 112mgIron: 2mg
Photos by Amber Asakura
Gabrielle is a Nutritional Coach, Cooking Teacher and Mama of Five. Her mission is to help and inspire women to create a life of optimal health by transitioning to a plant-based lifestyle. She currently lives in sunny Queensland, Australia with her ‘Beardo’, five skallywags and adorable rescue dog, Lolly.