Mango, Millet & Macadamia Salad
This salad is a super healthy explosion of flavour, and will show you the trick to finally ENJOY eating kale!Use a food processor if you can, as it will greatly reduce your prep time on the kale and sweet potato.
- Food Processor optional
- 2/3 cup raw millet
- 1 bunch kale destemmed, very finely chopped
- 1 cup macadamia nuts
- 1 cup currants
- 1/2 large sweet potato peeled, finely grated
- 1/2 large zucchini peeled, julienned
- 1/4 bunch fresh coriander chopped
- 1/2 red onion peeled, finely chopped
- 2 mango peeled
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds hulled
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Cook the millet according to the package instructions.
- While the millet cooks prepare all your fresh produce. Once destemmed, chop the kale very finely - pieces should be no larger than your smallest fingernail. A food processor will make this process a LOT faster.
- Peel and finely grate the sweet potato. Use a sieve to squeeze excess moisture from the grated sweet potato, then set aside.
- In a dry frying pan, toast the macadamia nuts over medium heat for a few minutes, until golden brown. Keep a close eye, as they can burn very quickly!
- To make the dressing, scoop the mango flesh into a blender along with the other dressing ingredients. Blend until smooth, a minute or two - it should have the consistency of a fairly thick yogurt.
- Once the millet and macadamia nuts have cooled, assemble the salad by combining all the salad ingredients into a bowl. Use your hands to mix it thoroughly.
- Divide into bowls, and serve with a drizzle of dressing. Enjoy!
Calories: 350kcalCarbohydrates: 48.7gProtein: 7.6gFat: 17gSaturated Fat: 2.6gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2.1gMonounsaturated Fat: 11gSodium: 199mgPotassium: 716.4mgFiber: 8.4gSugar: 25.8gVitamin A: 5525IUVitamin C: 90.44mgCalcium: 199mgIron: 3mg
Gabrielle is an evidence-based vegan coach who believes that health transformation begins when you switch to a plant-based diet. Her mission is to help midlife women eat in alignment with who they are and what they value so that they can lead a happier, healthier and more fulfilling life.
Sign up for a weekly dose of evidence-based info + free recipes
Written by Gabrielle (hi!), these e-mails will help you on your plant-based journey with useful tips, tricks, facts and inspiration – and perhaps the occasional inappropriate joke thrown in for good measure.