Creamy Hazelnut Spread
- Baking Tray
- Storage Container
- 3 cups Blanched Hazelnuts unsalted
- 2/3 cup Dairy-Free Dark Chocolate substitute 3 Tbsp cacao powder and 1 Tbsp pure maple syrup + water to thin
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- Pure Maple Syrup optional, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and add hazelnuts to a baking tray in a single layer. Roast for a total of 12- 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and add to a food processor or high speed blender. Blend on low for several minutes or until a butter is formed - the amount of time varies depending on the nuts and type of blender. Scrape down sides as needed.
- In the meantime, heat the chocolate over a double boiler or in the microwave in 20 second increments. Set aside.
- Once the nut butter is creamy and smooth, add the melted chocolate (or cacao, maple and water), sea salt and vanilla. Blend again until well combined.
- Taste and add pure maple syrup to sweeten, if necessary (optional).If spread is too thick, add enough water to thin. If too thin, add a little pure maple and cacao powder until desired consistency is reached. It will also firm in the fridge.
- Transfer to a storage container and store in the fridge for up to 2-3 weeks. Microwave it for 15-20 seconds to soften it back up before use.
Photos by Amber Asakura
Gabrielle is an evidence-based vegan coach who believes that health transformation begins when you switch to a plant-based diet. Her mission is to help midlife women eat in alignment with who they are and what they value so that they can lead a happier, healthier and more fulfilling life.
Sign up for a weekly dose of evidence-based info + free recipes
Written by Gabrielle (hi!), these e-mails will help you on your plant-based journey with useful tips, tricks, facts and inspiration – and perhaps the occasional inappropriate joke thrown in for good measure.