Everyday Red Lentil Soup
This lentil soup is my latest obsession. I'm completely in love with its delicate flavour!It uses only a handful of ingredients, so is incredibly easy and cheap to make, and excellent for heart health: low calorie, and low fat.
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp sugar-free tomato sauce or tomato paste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp sea salt more to taste
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- pinch chili powder
- 6 cups vegan chicken-style broth I use Massel brand
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 cup chickpeas canned, drained, rinsed
- 2 carrots peeled and finely diced
- Juice of 1/2 lemon more to taste
- 4 Tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- In a large soup pot, heat a few tablespoons of water over medium heat.
- Add the onions, and cook for a few minutes until they start becoming translucent. Add additional water needed to prevent sticking.
- Add the garlic, cumin, chili powder, and a tablespoon of water, and cook for about two minutes until fragrant.
- Next, add the tomato sauce, salt, and pepper and stir until combined. Cook for two minutes, stirring frequently - you may need to add a splash of water to prevent sticking.
- Add the broth, lentils, chickpeas, and carrot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover the pot, and allow it to simmer for at least 30 minutes - an hour is better to intensify the flavour.
- Using an immersion blender, roughly puree the soup - it should still be rather chunky when you've finished. If you don't have an immersion blender, simply process half the soup in a blender or food processor, then add it back to the pot.
- Finally, stir in the lemon juice and cilantro and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Calories: 274kcalCarbohydrates: 49.5gProtein: 16.2gFat: 2.4gSaturated Fat: 0.3gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1.1gMonounsaturated Fat: 0.6gSodium: 362.5mgPotassium: 660mgFiber: 9.7gSugar: 5.1gVitamin A: 160.4IUVitamin C: 9.4mgCalcium: 80mgIron: 5.4mg
Gabrielle is an evidence-based vegan coach who believes that health transformation begins when you switch to a plant-based diet. Her mission is to help midlife women eat in alignment with who they are and what they value so that they can lead a happier, healthier and more fulfilling life.
Like what you see?
If you like the look of this recipe, hit the button below and we’ll send you a free 7-day meal plan full of delicious plant-based meals!