Easy Grilled Tofu
These slabs of tofu are simply marinated in flavour and briefly seared on each side. So easy and versatile – enjoy in salads, sandwiches, wraps, tacos or served alongside mashed potatoes and garlic greens. The marinade doubles as a sauce.
- 300 g firm or extra firm tofu cut into half-inch thick slices
- 2 Tbsp low sodium tamari
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 large lemon zest and juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- In a small bowl, combine the tamari, tahini, maple syrup, lemon zest and juice, garlic, salt, pepper, and oregano. Whisk well until the tahini has completely emulsified.
- Press the tofu strips to remove excess water, then place in a shallow baking pan in a single layer and pour the marinade over the tofu. Let sit at least 30 minutes and preferably 1-2 hours (or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days).
- When ready to cook, heat a non-stick stovetop grill pan over medium-high heat until hot. Reserving the marinade, place the tofu slices on the grill at an angle and cook until it holds deep grill marks, 1-2 minutes per side. If searing in multiple batches, be sure to thoroughly wash the pan to avoid burnt remains of marinade. If you find the tofu sticking, use a small spray of oil in the pan before adding the tofu pieces.
- Remove the tofu to a platter and drizzle with some of the remaining marinade. Leftover marinade can be saved and reused.
Calories: 159.8kcalCarbohydrates: 13.2gProtein: 11.5gFat: 8.3gSaturated Fat: 1.4gPolyunsaturated Fat: 3.4gMonounsaturated Fat: 2.7gTrans Fat: 0.04gSodium: 957mgPotassium: 246mgFiber: 1.9gSugar: 7.2gVitamin A: 0.5IUVitamin C: 4.9mgCalcium: 250.3mgIron: 2.6mg
Gabrielle is an evidence-based vegan coach who believes that health transformation begins when you switch to a plant-based diet. Her mission is to help midlife women eat in alignment with who they are and what they value so that they can lead a happier, healthier and more fulfilling life.
Like what you see?
If you like the look of this recipe, hit the button below and we’ll send you a free 7-day meal plan full of delicious plant-based meals!