Crunchy Oil-Free Granola
This home-made granola is awesome because it takes just a few minutes of work to make, and lasts for months if stored correctly. Play with the ingredients and add your favourite toppings - some acai and fresh fruit is my favourite way to eat it. It also contains approximately 60% less calories than the store-bought stuff.
- 2 cups rolled oats whole grain
- 1 cup buckwheat groats
- 1 cup macadamia nuts chopped in halves
- 1/2 cup blanched hazelnuts
- 1 cup sunflower kernels
- 1/2 cup pumpkin kernels
- 1 cup shaved coconut
- 1 cup puffed brown rice
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 3 Tbsp aquafaba whisked
- 1 pinch salt optional
- 1 cup craisins low calorie
- Heat oven to 120°C (250°F) and line a large baking tray with baking paper. Get your ingredients together.
- Combine grains, nuts, seeds, coconut and puffed brown rice in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in maple syrup, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix well.
- Add in the salt, if using, then fold in the aquafaba.
- Turn it out onto the baking tray, and bake for approximately 2 hours or until golden brown, flipping half-way.
- Turn off the oven and allow the granola to cool down in the oven (I usually leave it overnight).
- Add the cranberries, mix to combine and store in an airtight container.
Serve with vanilla dairy-free yoghurt and fruit for breakfast or enjoy on its own as a snack. To sweeten, top with some diced date or a drizzle of maple syrup. When stored in a cool dry place, and in an airtight container, this granola will last up to six months - and even longer when stored in the fridge (recommended for warmer climes).
Calories: 215kcalCarbohydrates: 25gProtein: 5gFat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 1gSodium: 5mgPotassium: 187mgFiber: 4gSugar: 10gVitamin A: 4IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 32mgIron: 2mg
Photos by Amber Asakura
Gabrielle is an evidence-based vegan coach who believes that health transformation begins when you switch to a plant-based diet. Her mission is to help midlife women eat in alignment with who they are and what they value so that they can lead a happier, healthier and more fulfilling life.
Sign up for a weekly dose of evidence-based info + free recipes
Written by Gabrielle (hi!), these e-mails will help you on your plant-based journey with useful tips, tricks, facts and inspiration – and perhaps the occasional inappropriate joke thrown in for good measure.