Classic Vanilla Slice
- Baking Tray
- 2 sheets Plant-based Frozen Puff Pastry thawed
- 1 cup Castor Sugar
- 3/4 cup Cornflour
- 1/2 cup Vegan Custard Powder
- 1 litre Soy Milk
- 60 gram Vegan Margarine
- 2 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 2 cups Icing Sugar
- 1 tsp Vegan Margarine
- 3 Passionfruit pulp
- 1 tsp Water
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F), then bake the puff pastry sheets on lightly greased trays for about 6 minutes, or until lightly browned. Set aside to cool.
- In a saucepan, stir together the sugar, cornflour and custard powder. Whisk in the milk and add the margarine. (See notes below) Set the custard over medium heat to melt the margarine and bring the mixture to the boil. Remove the custard from the heat and stir in the vanilla. At this point if there are any lumps in the custard you can strain it.
- To construct the slice, set a layer of pastry into a baking dish, trimmed to fit (see notes and photos below). Pour over the custard and spread it out so it's roughly even. Place the second pastry sheet on top, again trimmed to fit. Refrigerate the slice.
- To make the icing, stir together all the icing ingredients until smooth. Retrieve the slice from the fridge and spread over the icing as smoothly as you can (or want to). Return the slice to the fridge for several hours (preferably overnight) until the custard has set firm. Slice and serve.
- Cut the puff pastry a bit bigger as it shrinks while cooking.
- The trick to having lump-free custard is to slowly pour the soy milk into the dry powder while stirring. Stir until fully dissolved before putting everything onto the heat, otherwise little clumps of powder will stick together and form into custard pearls, which can never be dispersed.
Gabrielle is an evidence-based vegan coach who believes that health transformation begins when you switch to a plant-based diet. Her mission is to help midlife women eat in alignment with who they are and what they value so that they can lead a happier, healthier and more fulfilling life.
Like what you see?
If you like the look of this recipe, hit the button below and we’ll send you a free 7-day meal plan full of delicious plant-based meals!