Chilli Non Carne
This meatless version of chilli con carne is amazingly meaty and when cooking it smells so good the family will come over to see what's for dinner - even the most hardcore carnivore will love it!If you'd prefer to steer clear of fake meats you could make this with TVP, but remember to adjust the seasoning to match. Use lentils to make this recipe whole food plant-based!
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Yellow Onion medium, diced
- 1 Capiscum red or green, diced
- 2 Carrots medium, grated
- 1 Red Chilli medium, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup Vegetable Stock
- 300 g Soy Mince
- 1 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp Ground Coriander
- 2 1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 2 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 4 Tbsp Tamari Sauce
- 1/2 cup Red Wine
- 2 x 400g cans Chopped Tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1 x 400g can Mixed Beans drained
- To a large non-stick pan on a medium heat add the garlic, onion, capsicum, carrots, chilli and vegetable stock. Simmer for 8 minutes until translucent and soft.
- Add the soy mince to the pan and mix well with the vegetables for a few minutes until combined and simmering.
- Add the paprika, coriander, cumin, cocoa powder, and cinnamon and mix again to combine. Add the tamari sauce and red wine - stir well.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and tomato puree, and stir thoroughly. Add a little more water if the mixture seems too thick.
- Simmer gently over a low heat for at least 60 minutes. Stir regularly, and add more water or a splash of wine if necessary.
- About 30 mins before serving, add the beans and mix through.
- Serve with rice of your choice. Enjoy!
Calories: 139kcalCarbohydrates: 15gProtein: 12gFat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 1gSodium: 1024mgPotassium: 422mgFiber: 6gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 4780IUVitamin C: 40mgCalcium: 42mgIron: 5mg
Photos by Amber Asakura
Gabrielle is an evidence-based vegan coach who believes that health transformation begins when you switch to a plant-based diet. Her mission is to help midlife women eat in alignment with who they are and what they value so that they can lead a happier, healthier and more fulfilling life.
Sign up for a weekly dose of evidence-based info + free recipes
Written by Gabrielle (hi!), these e-mails will help you on your plant-based journey with useful tips, tricks, facts and inspiration – and perhaps the occasional inappropriate joke thrown in for good measure.