Cheesy Vegan Sauce
Whether you’re trying to get your kids to eat their veggies or simply want to take a meal to the next level, a great cheese sauce can make all the difference.Add it to pasta, baked potatoes, or wherever you want! It's super easy to make, whole food plant-based, AND low in calories (and cholesterol free).
- 1/2 cup cashews soaked in boiled water for 15 mins and drained
- 1 cup unsweetened plant milk
- 4 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3 Tbsp tapioca flour
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- First, get the ingredients together.
- Add all the ingredients to a high speed blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Add blended sauce to a saucepan set over medium heat, whisking constantly until it thickens slightly. The sauce will continue to thicken a little once removed from heat.
- Use right away over nachos, baked potatoes, or any other way you fancy. Or store in an airtight container and place in the fridge.
The sauce will continue to thicken when placed in the fridge. Add a little plant milk and whisk again just before using to reach the desired consistency
Calories: 75kcalCarbohydrates: 7gProtein: 4gFat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 2gSodium: 333mgPotassium: 137mgFiber: 1gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 1IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 42mgIron: 1mg
Photos by Amber Asakura
Gabrielle is an evidence-based vegan coach who believes that health transformation begins when you switch to a plant-based diet. Her mission is to help midlife women eat in alignment with who they are and what they value so that they can lead a happier, healthier and more fulfilling life.
Sign up for a weekly dose of evidence-based info + free recipes
Written by Gabrielle (hi!), these e-mails will help you on your plant-based journey with useful tips, tricks, facts and inspiration – and perhaps the occasional inappropriate joke thrown in for good measure.