Baked Polenta Croutons
A delicious alternative to the classic crouton at one tenth of the calories! Pop them on top of your favourite salad or enjoy them in a bowl of soup.These are quick to prepare and baked in the oven until crispy. Be sure to use a sharp knife to cut them up to get a nice shape!
- 1/2 cup polenta
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp Italian herbs
- Preheat oven to 225°C (440°F) as you get the ingredients together.
- Whisk the polenta, water and salt together in a medium-sized saucepan and place over medium heat to bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, stir constantly for about 15-20 minutes until polenta is thick, sticky and cooked.
- Remove polenta from the heat and stir in the nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder and Italian herbs.
- Remove polenta from the pot and place onto plastic wrap. Shape into a rectangle about 1/2 inch thick. Wrap the plastic around it and refrigerate until cooled.
- Once oven is preheated and polenta has cooled, remove the polenta from the plastic and bake on an oven tray for 25-30 minutes turning every 8-10 minutes until brown and crispy.
- Serve with your favourite soup or salad.
Calories: 59kcalCarbohydrates: 12gProtein: 2gFat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 197mgPotassium: 72mgFiber: 1gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 30IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 4mgIron: 1mg
Photos by Amber Asakura
Gabrielle is an evidence-based vegan coach who believes that health transformation begins when you switch to a plant-based diet. Her mission is to help midlife women eat in alignment with who they are and what they value so that they can lead a happier, healthier and more fulfilling life.
Sign up for a weekly dose of evidence-based info + free recipes
Written by Gabrielle (hi!), these e-mails will help you on your plant-based journey with useful tips, tricks, facts and inspiration – and perhaps the occasional inappropriate joke thrown in for good measure.