- Non-stick Pan
- Measuring Cup
- Small Mixing Bowl
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- 1 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 4 tsp Flax Meal
- 4 Tbsp Water
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 4 tsp Olive Oil
- 180 gram Whole Wheat Flour
- Heat your pan to medium/high heat.
- In a liquid measuring cup add the almond milk and apple cider vinegar. Give it a stir. Set aside.
- In a separate small container, add the ground flax seed and water. Let it sit in the fridge for five minutes.
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix.
- Add the oil to the vinegar and milk mixture.
- After the five minutes are up for the "flax egg", add the flax and water mixture to the vinegar, milk, and oil.
- Next, add the liquid measurements to the dry measurements. Mix until just combined - a few lumps will be ok. If the batter is really runny consider adding flour one tablespoon at a time to thicken.
- To cook the pancakes you may need to add a small amount of oil or vegan butter to prevent sticking. Add approximately 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake. Cook for about 2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Repeat until the batter is gone. Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
- Add some berries or chocolate chips to step 7 if you're feeling fancy!
- Keep the pancakes warm in the oven - preheated to around 60C - until you've cooked them all.
Photos by Amber Asakura
Gabrielle is a Nutritional Coach, Cooking Teacher and Mama of Five. Her mission is to help and inspire women to create a life of optimal health by transitioning to a plant-based lifestyle. She currently lives in sunny Queensland, Australia with her ‘Beardo’, five skallywags and adorable rescue dog, Lolly.